So yesterday on my way home I made a quick stop to pick up a few things we needed at home. Of course, the minute I got home I realized I had forgotten some other things, isn't that the way life goes? Anyway, that stop led me to write this post today.
While in the store, I stopped in aisle to read some labels (yes, I read labels) while I stood there, I overheard a girl talking negatively towards her mother. I sat in disgust trying to act like I was reading this label, but my ears just couldn't believe the things she was saying. Granted, I don't know these people, I have no idea what their home is like or what they have been through, but, sometimes (just sometimes) you can look at someone and just know that they are good people. I glanced over at the mom very briefly, she looked tired, worn out, and sad. I felt for her. She just let her daughter talk to her in the most disrespectful tone, and undermine her. The jest of the situation I caught was this, I saw the woman walk into my aisle (bread aisle) alone, she was looking for bread, and a few minutes later the daughter came up with what appeared to be makeup in her hand. She demanded that her mom purchase the items for her, the mom very nicely said, "sweetie, I only have $50 and we need some groceries, I will buy you that makeup when I get my next paycheck" I'm not even going to write what the girl responded. Let's just say it was harsh, involved curse words, and made her look like such an ungrateful brat! Yes, I said it, BRAT! It personally took everything I had inside for me not to run over there, grab her arm and say "Don't talk to your momma like that!!" I could tell by the items in her cart, that she indeed probably only had $50, let's just say she wasn't purchasing anything "gluten-free" or organically grown....real talk.
As I walked away, it made me think of my mom. I know each of us can all say "I have the best mom" and truth is, you do. My mom is one of my true hero's & she is absolutely beautiful. (literally)
I have so much respect & love for her. Growing up, the older I get, the more I see these things. The more I realize what she went through to raise my sister & I. You see, our biological father walked out on us, weeks after my sister was born. My mom was left alone (better off than being with that deadbeat) but still being alone with two kids, and one being a newborn. I still sit back and wonder how she did everything she did. She worked full time, overtime, she provided for us, she nurtured & loved us, we always had packed lunches, clean folded clothes, a clean home, good food on the table. She always made it look so easy, and we never went without. No holiday ever passed without gifts, but as a child you seem to expect those things, rather than appreciate them. Now that I'm an adult myself, I still wonder how she did it. Granted, we don't have kids yet, but sometimes I find its hard enough just to work a full time job, keep the house clean, put dinner on the table, and even start a load of laundry. She did it, alone, and never once did I hear her complain. If we wanted something in the store, she got it for us. I know now that she sacrificed alot. She bought herself nothing so we could have everything. She worked hard to take care of us, and to this very day, not one thing has changed. My mom is incredible. I feel like there aren't enough words in the world for me to tell her how much I love her, and how much I appreciate her. To this day, she will do anything for my sister & I, (and now Sofia) even if it means she goes without. I am thankful that she has found a man who makes her happy and spoils her the way she should be spoiled. I am thankful that she is here today, and still puts us first before anything else. No matter how rough times got for me, I still would always run home to my mommy, and she would still at the age of 30 years old, cradle me in her arms like her baby.
Mom with Sofia on the day she was born
I could go on & on, but I won't. All I will say is this, your mother is your mother. She brought you into this world. You cannot choose your mom. Hug your mom, tell her you love her, tell her you appreciate her.

No comments:
Post a Comment